Students advance to the Louisiana Future Business Leaders of America conference.
Recently more than thirty St. Augustine High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) members attended the Louisiana FBLA District Leadership Conference to compete in numerous events. Five St. Augustine students took top place in a variety of categories with a number of other students achieving honors in the competition as well.
FBLA tournaments recognize and reward excellence in a broad range of business, technology, and career-related areas. Through state-based competition at the spring FBLA State Leadership Conferences, members compete in events that test their business and marketing knowledge and skills. Top winners in each state are eligible to compete for honors at the National Leadership Conference in the summer.
“We compete every year, and our students invest a lot of time preparing and studying for the various events,” business studies instructor and FBLA advisor Sandra Davis said.
St. Augustine’s FBLA chapter has 42 members and the school sends a large group to the state competition every year, Davis noted. In addition to the business competition, FBLA members gain management skills, participate in workshops, and form partnerships and programs that enhance business and cultural education.
“Every member won’t go into a business-related field. However, the leadership skills, the networking, and education they receive from FBLA participation gives them a great start in any career,” Davis added.
First Place Winners and State Championship Qualifiers:
Name - Topic
- Jalen Hinton - Sports and Entertainment Management - Team event
- Darren Dixon - Sports and Entertainment Management - Team event
- Alfred Ripoll IV - Sports and Entertainment Management - Team event
- Marc Barnes Jr. – Public Speaking
- Angelo Aubry- Networking Concepts
Superior Winners and State Championship Qualifiers:
Name - Topic
- Eddie Davis - Advertising
- Lucies Thompson - Business Law, Securities & Investments
- Clarence Sterling III - Business Law
- David Ker III – Current Events
- Tomias McGee – Current Events
- Tyler Wilson - Current Events
- Marc Barnes Jr. - Cyber Security
- Tyler Wilson - Impromptu Speaking
- Braden Lewis - Intro to Business & Financial Math
- Alfred Ripoll IV - Intro to Business Communications
- Deylon Foy - Introduction to FBLA
- Terrance Hampton Jr. - Introduction to FBLA
Name - Topic
- Kevin Brown Jr. - Agribusiness
- Christopher Confident - Business Law
- Mark Joseph Jr. - Client Service and Help Desk
- Clarence Sterling III- Computer Problem Solving
- Christopher Confident - Entrepreneurship
- Michael Watts - Entrepreneurship
- Andre’ Hubbard - Entrepreneurship
- Deylon Foy - Intro to Business
- Mark Verrett Jr. - Intro to Business Communications & Financial Math
- Trey Causey - Job Interview
- Wardell Royal III - Personal Finance and Securities & Investments