Summer Reading for the 2020-2021 school year.
The mission of the St. Augustine High School’s Summer Reading Program is:
- to encourage a love of reading by providing selections that have literary merit and are engaging and relatable.
- to foster the critical thinking and writing skills that our students need to be successful.
- to teach students to engage in constructive dialogue that is respectful, honest, and mature.
- to provide an opportunity for students to get a jumpstart on the novel that will be discussed and used as we dig deep into the English Language Arts standards that are set by the state of Louisiana.
- to promote literacy so that our students are life-long, proficient readers.
Please see the list below for all grades.
A Time to Break Silence: The Essential Works of Martin Luther King, Jr., for Students (King Legacy) Paperback – November 5, 2013
by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (Author), Walter Dean Myers (Introduction)
Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements Paperback – Bargain Price, January 11, 1994
by Malcolm X (Author), George Breitman (Editor)
These books were selected to assist all of us as we move through these very dynamic times and give some sort of perspective on where we've been, where we currently are, and to perhaps order our steps as we move forward.
Both selections are available on Amazon.com.